Wednesday, January 20, 2010

First Day, First Week, First Grade. . . Lots of Firsts

Well as you can tell there have been a lot of firsts happening in my life as of lately. Believe me when I say this is one of the hardest things I have ever done in my entire life. There are some days that I think, why would anyone in their right mind want to work such long hours, do so much work outside of the classroom (grading papers, etc.), and be sssooo exhausted by the end of the day for such little pay? It doesn't make much sense, and to tell you the truth I come home more tired and worried than I have ever been, but I can't help but love it. I know there is nothing else I would rather do. I am working on just keeping my head above water, staying one step ahead of where I need to be, and I think it is going ok. I know I can teach better than this, but right now I am giving it my all. The luxury I don't have is time, well time and energy really. I'm pretty sure I could easily spend a whole day (as in 24 hours) and still not get everything done and ready completely.

Luckily I have so much help surrounding me it is unreal. My mentor teacher is the bomb and helps me ssooo very much, whether it is making copies, helping me write lesson plans for subs, highlighting books, whatever she sees that she can do to help me! That is such a huge blessing. Even if it means she stays late (and she lives all the way in Dangerfield) she does it. I didn't know the amount of paper work I would have to do (even for just running off papers) until I really got into it. That is one of the many things you don't learn about even in student teaching!

No comments: