Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Joyfully Cleaning

There are many things I am not good at/ I don’t know how to do.  Gardening, sewing, cooking, things of the homemaking nature.  However, one thing I have gotten better on is cleaning.
When I was a kid I HATED to clean.  Literally just loathed it.  Have you ever seen a television show about hoarders?  I have told my husband if it weren’t for my mother, grandmother, and God’s grace I really think I would have been a hoarder.  I used to stash all kinds of things in my closet, until it was a huge massive pile (at least that is what it looked like to me as a little one) that my mom made me clean up.  It would then take me HOURS to do this, because I am ADD so every little thing I would find I would play with and then reminisce about before finally putting it away.  I also had a hard time throwing things away.  My grandmother and mom would come and help me from time to time, but then would get mad at how little progress I had made or what all they found in there.  Needless to say, even to this day, I don’t like people going through my stuff.
However, as I have gotten older I have gotten much cleaner.  In fact I actually find it a joy to do now.  Being home has definitely brought that out in me, because I have time to do it, in fact that is what I spend most of my day doing.  However, it wasn’t always easy for me.  It wasn’t until Reid was about 4 months old that I actually got on a system, thanks to another mommy friend who is also a stay at home mom.  This system consists of notecards and a master schedule for things you do each day, week, month, couple of months, seasonally, or yearly.  It is so wonderful.  I even now have boxes under my sinks that house all the cleaning supplies for each room in the house so I can just grab it and go.
In the next post I will show you pictures of my system and my baskets!  For now, the baby is sleeping and I have already wasted enough time not cleaning and updating.  Remember to come back to see the method to my madness.

No comments: