Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Week of Painting!!

Well it is the last day of spring break and I can confidently say I only did a small amount of homework :-)But this is NOT because I was being lazy and sitting around all week, no way, I have been painting like a mad woman!

In case anyone doesn't know of I have forgotten to tell what is happening, Mark got the youth minister position at Harleton (yay!!) We are so excited and couldn't be happier! Well along with the many perks of the new job (such as a day off, that was AWESOME, a gas allowance, insurance, and so many more)comes a place to live. Now this is not just any "place to live", this is a 3 bedroom, two bath, massive house (especially when you compare it to the one bedroom apartment we have been staying in at ETBU). We are estatic about living there and all the freedom the church has graciously allowed us to have, one of which was painting.

You see, the house is huge, but is ALL wood panneling, and when I say all, I mean everything, every wall, was wood panneling! Wood panneling is not my favorite thing, and I have been wanting to paint something (make a house my own) since we got married, and the church allowed me to do it! Such a huge gift, I don't think they know how happy it made me. I got to pick all my own colors and everything, decide what I wanted where and was able to get in there and do a lot of it this week that I had off.

Of course paiting doesn't come without its bumps in the road, and this project was no exception. We decided to go with an orange for the office room, and got a color we thought would be great, but it turned out to be WAY to bright. It scared everyone, so after seeing that two coats didn't help the color, we had to go back and get a deeper orange. Luckily that was the only paint change that had to be made. We painted the living room/kitchen area, as well as the hall, a khaki color, that turned out to be way prettier than I thought it was going to be. The master bedroom is a light blue that matches our bedspread and will look great with all the dark furniture we have! By the grace of God we ran into one of the men that has been working on the house at Lowes one morning and he told us to have them tint the primer, which in turn saved us a step of painting. Instead of painting primer and then having to do two coats, the tinted primer took care of the primer and the first coat. It also saved us money which is always good!

All in all we got everything done but the guest bedroom and bathroom!! I couldn't have done it by myself, that is for sure. My family was phenomenal, with everyone coming to pitch in EVERYDAY, spending their spring break working as well! I don't know about you, but not many parents, grandparents, or brothers would do that willingly! I am so grateful to them and ALL THE HARD WORK they put in! It looks amazing and got done in half the time it would have if it had been just Mark and me painting.

I am on my mom's computer right now trying to upload the pics, but it isn't working! I will do it when I get home!

No comments: